NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Spring Fling at the Randolph Street Flea Market
randolph_me_marandaLast weekend Maranda of Persnickety Vintage and I attended the Spring Fling edition of the Randolph Street Flea Market. It actually felt like spring (it was in the high 60s) outside so I celebrated with bare legs and by wearing a 1960s "flower child" dress. As you can see, Maranda also wore a floral print dress (hers is from the 1970s).

Spring themes of bright colors, flowers and Easter items abounded at the market. It's hard to believe Easter is already next weekend, winter passed by quickly here in Chicago this year-- for once!

I took so many photos at the market that I had to split the images into two posts. In this post I've grouped together photos from a handful of vendors whose wares particularly spoke to me. Part 2 of the market coverage will include my finds and photos from a wider variety of booths.

DETHROSE VINTAGE


My friend Karyn of Dethrose Vintage is the living embodiment of her brand, she wears vintage clothing and accessories every day and channels the spirit of Grace Kelly and Mad Men's Betty Draper. The motto of Karyn's successful etsy shop is "Vintage Not Costume", a sentiment that I also adhere to in my approach to wearing vintage. In person she sells at The Vintage Bazaar, The Randolph Street Market and Vintage Heaven. Yes, she's a busy lady!dethrosedressKaryn specializes in pre-1970s clothing, shoes, handbags and jewelry. There are always many temptations in her booth including the gorgeous 1950s party dress above.karyn_marandaKaryn was also rocking a floral print dress, hers is from the 1950s. I wish I could have gotten a picture of the three of us together, we would have represented 3 decades of clothing.marandaskirtBoth Maranda & I adored this purple floral print skirt but alas it was too small for us. Instead a super cute math teacher scooped it up-- I wish my high school math teachers had been as stylish.dethroseskirtGray + a bright color is one of my favorite color combinations.karyn_meIf you're wondering, I'm not short (I'm 5 ft 6 inches and wearing 3 inch heels), Maranda and Karyn are both very tall ladies!dethrose_squaredancingdressIt's hard for me to say no to a square dancing dress, I was particularly drawn to the unusual tropical print of this one.dethrose_plasticbowsIf Cinderella had lived in the 1960s she would have worn these clear plastic shoes.dethrose_yellowdressMaranda bought this buttercup yellow cotton 1950s dress from Karyn. It will be a perfect summer picnic outfit.

MORNING GLORY COLLECTIBLES


I first spotted Linda of Morning Glory Collectibles at The Vintage Bazaar last year and then saw her booth last month at the Valentine's version of the Randolph Street Market. She carries a range of merchandise, from clothing to kitchenware, but always has fair prices and a consistent aesthetic. What I enjoy most is her innovative displays and fresh merchandise, she always goes all out with each month's theme; this time around she celebrated Spring with black and white flower photos, vintage watering cans and pastel colors.morninggloryorangechairflappernotebookbunnysweaterThe perfect Easter accessories, I was tempted to to try on the bunny print sweater.morninggloryduomorningglory4morningglory1950spromdressIt's too bad I didn't wear vintage clothing in high school-- I wish I could do over my prom in this 1950s gown.vintagepajamasmorningglory2morningglory1morningglory3Even a utilitarian item like fly swatters looked dainty in Linda's booth.roostersmorningglorylampmorninggloryheadbandWhy didn't I buy this flower bedecked headband from Linda?

APT 528


I associate my friend India and her business, Apt 528, with bold use of color. She adores 1960s and 1970s housewares, furniture and electronics in bright shades and is adept at mixing her vintage wares with artist-made handcrafted items from all over the world. India holds a monthly studio sale, sells her items online and also makes the rounds at the flea markets. Next week I'll be posting an interview I did with India about selling vintage full time so look for that post soon.apt528wickerchairapt528cardsapt528knivesThis knife set reminded me of paint chips or Pantone color shades.teatowelsapt528scoopapt528stackofradiosESTATE CHICAGO


I have a serious weakness for vintage costume jewels and Kimberly of Estate Chicago always has piles of tempting antique and vintage jewelry, compacts and hats in her booth. She scours the Midwest in search of 1920s flapper beads, 1930s Czech glass rings and 1950s Austrian crystal necklaces to share with her customers. I'm constantly adding her etsy listings to my favorites list as she has a keen eye for both the classic pieces and what's "on trend" right now.estatechicagoringAn intaglio Czech glass ring in a gorgeous royal blue.estatechicagopinkphoneIt's hard to tell with the lighting, but both the radio and the small pay phone are PINK. I'm wondering if the pay phone was used in a beauty parlor?estatechicagofoxbeltMy new favorite animal is the fox so I was drawn to this double fox head belt.estatechicagostarcompactA large makeup compact in my favorite color with an unusual star pattern. I think it's from the 1930s.estatechicagopendantA 1970s reversible Chinese lacquer pendant. Again in my favorite color of aqua.estatechicagosnakepinOne of the most unusual pins/brooches I've ever come across, a 1970s snake pin that is flexible so can slither and coil on a sweater, coat or dress.

ATOMIC SCOTT's


Unfortunately I do not know Atomic Scott's personally nor could I find his shop online. His booth, however, held the creme de la creme of Mid Century Modern housewares and kitchenware. All of his pieces reminded me of my twitter #ThriftBreak friends Scott of Ars Longa and Bryan of A La Modern. Atomic Scott's had an actual Charley Harper signed print along with scores of dishes, vases and sculptures designed by Russel Wright, Ben Seibel and Eva Zeisel.colorfulglassMCMdishesmodernsculptureraymortrianglecreamericecreambargrahpicprintwhiteteapotraymourhorsehallbowlsmarilynmonroebooklucitepursesMISC.


Sadly I neglected to get the business card from this booth, please comment if you know who was selling all these adorable Easter items on the first floor of the market.chickenmeI took a shining to this vintage tin chicken toy, unfortunately she did not come home with me.tinchickensugareggA vintage Easter egg made of real sugar. My grandmother used to have a similar egg and I liked to play with it as a little girl.lobsterdishesbananasaltandpeppershakersYou know you're an artist when you see a pair of banana salt & pepper shakers and think "Pop Art" and "Andy Warhol".eastereggsHand painted wooden Easter eggs in colorful sherbet dishes.angrybunnyWhy is the wooden bunny so angry?glassknivesI've never seen glass knives before, I wonder if they're better suited for cutting delicate items like cake.

JONATHAN'S FINE ART & ANTIQUES

Jon drives in from Indiana to sell at the markets and he always has some of the most unusual items at the market including primitives, elaborately carved furniture and lots of original art.naturalchairBoth Maranda and I were smitten with this majestic rough hewn chair. I'm curious if it's comfortable.woodthronesYes, I would like a hand carved and painted wood throne in my living room, please.maranda_mugMaranda getting friendly with a folk art wood mug in Jon's booth.

I hope you enjoyed this glimpse into the Randolph Street Flea Market, look for part 2 next week. I'll be back to posting the Vintage News, Links & Inspiration of the week too, I skipped the post last week as it was my birthday (I'm 27 now!) and the 2-hour Mad Men premiere.