NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Friday Night at the Randolph Street Flea Market
thriftaholic_camper2Friday night I was invited to the 2nd Annual Editor's Choice for Charity event at the Randolph Street Flea Market. Typically the market opens at 10 AM on Saturday morning and runs Saturday & Sunday on the last weekend of the month. The other editors and I got the chance to preview the market, while the vendors were setting up, to award blue ribbons to 5 items of our choosing. Once the items I chose sell, a donation will be made to my charity of choice. I chose to support Open Books, a Chicago nonprofit that's dedicated to literacy.

I met up with my friends Sarah and Kyla at the event and we ran into our friend Sam of Rose Vintage setting up her camper. The market is both indoors and outdoors so it was a bit dark towards the end of the event (as you can tell from the photos). I'll be back on Sunday visiting the market during the day so expect more photos soon. If you're in Chicago be sure to stop by Saturday or Sunday to peruse wares from 200 vendors!necklaceMy first blue ribbon went to this 1940s aqua rhinestone necklace. This booth had several vintage gems that caught my eye and they hadn't even put most of their stock out yet.braceletsI collect charm bracelets and lately I've been drawn to the 1960s versions with chunkier charms.viking_shipIn another outdoor booth I spied Danish Modern items including this carved wood "Viking" ship with little painted figures.apple_jarMy second blue ribbon went to this Mod apple cookie jar made from the same type of aluminum that I often see on tumblers.hatsThere were scores of beautiful vintage hats at the market, autumn is the perfect time to wear one.meter_lampMy third blue ribbon went to this lamp made from a real parking meter in the 29 Palms booth.textile_art1970s fiber / textile art wall hanging.owl_lampsGiant owl lamps.clocheMy fourth ribbon went to a 1920s velvet cloche hat with rhinestone buckle in the shape of a bow. I spotted it in my friend Kimberly's booth of Estate Chicago.plaid_turbanShe also had this gorgeous plaid turban hat in her booth.sailor_dollUnfortunately I don't know the name of this vendor but she had tags attached to her all the items describing their history. She has a fun sense of humor too as I spotted several sassy books in her booth.vintage_glovesI was very tempted by the 1960s faux fur trimmed gloves.sassyTempted to buy this book to read!discoAnother amazing set of books, what was going on in the 1970s? Another editor awarded the blue ribbon to the book in the foreground.vintage_catsVintage cats, I believe these were cards.vintage_shoescranberry_hatpicasso_purseMy last ribbon went to this 1980s hand painted purse with a design that looked like a Picasso drawing. It's a little kitsch but I love it.doughnut_phonesTwo different types of "doughnut" phones.digsmed_spice_wheelThe coveted Digsmed spice wheel as seen in Don & Megan Draper's chic NYC apartment on "Mad Men".sculptureaqua_doll_houseI'd like the life size version of these 1950s aqua doll house appliances please.balconyA few of the indoor booths from the 2nd floor balcony.thriftaholic_rose_vintageKicking up my heels with Sam of Rose Vintage with her camper in the background.sam_otisSam with her sweet dog Otis!randolph_kylaKyla rockin' a 1970s "blanket" skirt.thriftaholic_jumpsuitYes, I'm wearing a 1970s jumpsuit. I rarely wear pants so this was a major style departure for me. I'd actually thrifted this jumpsuit 5 years ago and never worn it-- I came across it at the back of my closet just before I was leaving for the market.thriftaholic_camperI'm also wearing a 1940s felt hat.

Hope y'all have a good weekend!