NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Lately... Autumn in Chicago Through Instagram
insta_hopscotchEvery year it seems like autumn sneaks up on me and I spend too little time appreciating the colorful leaves, apple cider and golden afternoons. It's only 2 weeks away until Halloween and after that the mad rush of the winter holidays. Thankfully instagram has helped me to slow down and appreciate the transitional season more-- while I've only been using the iphone camera app since May, it's now become a part of my daily routine to take at least one photo. While the quality of photograph is not on par with my dSLR, instagram is my version of a photo sketch book and captures moments and daily outfits that I wouldn't catch otherwise.

I'm sharing a few instagram photos today that I think best demonstrates what I've been up to lately in my beloved city of Chicago. If you're on instagram too leave your username in the comments so I can follow you, my handle is @thriftaholic (of course!).insta_squirrel_cookiesIced squirrel cookies too adorable to eat spotted at Sweet Cakes Bakery in Ukrainian Village.insta_owlsI snagged this 1970s owl thread art for $1 at a neighborhood rummage sale.insta_pinata.jpgWe celebrated my friend India's birthday party with a pinata in her backyard.insta_party_trio.jpgKyla, me and Sarah at India's party. Photo courtesy @sazzouinsta_pumpkin_cupcakeAbout to dig into a delicious pumpkin cupcake with cream cheese frosting from Alliance Bakery in Wicker Park.insta_disco_dressTwirling in a 1970s disco dress at Sarah & Kyla's vintage pop up sale outside Antique Taco in Wicker Park.insta_disco_detailsDetails of my 1970s outfit, I tend to favor 1970s dresses, boots and berets in the autumn.insta_halloween_cookiesElaborately decorated Halloween cookies at Alliance Bakery-- the bears are dressed as a mummy, skeleton and Frankenstein (or a zombie?).insta_halloween_treeFaux spiderwebs adorning the trees in my neighborhood.insta_jackolanternJack-o-lantern featuring cut outs of autumn leaves.insta_spiderA giant spider adorning the exterior of the Driehaus Museum in the Gold Coast neighborhood. It looked to be 10 feet wide.insta_tikiWearing a Mod Hawaiian (1960s) outfit for drinks night at the Hala Kahiki tiki lounge.insta_trio.jpgSarah, Kyla and I are not afraid to wear loud floral prints especially if it suits our surroundings!insta_genesWe had to try the famous Gene's & Jude's hot dog stand next door to Hala Kihiki before heading home.insta_bicycle_pinSnagged this rad vintage bicycle pin from a weird little estate sale. It's mechanical so the big wheel moves.insta_black_sheepI went to visit friends at the Vintage Heaven sale in Wicker Park and found this amazing "black sheep" sweater. The wooden structure is an art installation by Jeff Prokash.insta_leavesCrunching through wet autumn leaves while wearing a 1950s dress.insta_pumpkins2There were so many pumpkins to choose from at the Gesthesmane garden center in Andersonville.insta_pumpkinsSarah, Kyla & I chose mini pumpkins to paint for Halloween.insta_cat_pumpkinSarah's kitty Finn approves of my Halloween "scaredy cat" painted mini pumpkin.insta_pumpkins.jpgI enjoyed seeing how different Kyla, Sarah & I's pumpkins turned out-- Kyla's are the 3 on the left, Sarah's are the middle 3 and mine are the 2 on the far right. Photo courtesy @sazzouinsta_fox_pumpkinIt's much more difficult to draw on a pumpkin (rounded surface!) than you'd expect. I'm happy with how my sleeping fox came out though, I framed him with painted gold leaves.

Be sure to visit Kyla (@lostandfind) and Sarah (@sazzou) at their blogs and instagrams too to see more of our adventures.