NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Summer's End & Chicago Flea Markets
randolph1Labor Day snuck up on me this year, for me it always signals the end of summer and the transition into pumpkin spice everything, boots and tights and apple picking. My whole life autumn has been my favorite season, mainly because it meant going back to school (yes, I'm a nerd!) and as an adult I look forward to the start of the art gallery season and a slew of new shops and restaurants opening here in Chicago. This year, however, I am not quite ready to let go of summer. Fortunately there are still several local flea markets and vintage markets through October to attend and with temperatures still in the 80s and sunny I can enjoy shopping in the open air just a few weeks longer.

The photos in this post are from the August edition of the Randolph Street Market in Chicago. They are a monthly market in the West Loop neighborhood and during the warmer months they host over 200 vendors both inside a historic hall and in the surrounding parking lot. At the market there's also food trucks, live music and fashion shows to enjoy along with the tables full of antique and vintage items.

Randolph Street is always one of the more visually striking markets, vendors go all out to merchandise their booths, the displays that are only up for 2 days often rival what I see at storefronts. Highlights of this month include a Woody the Woodpecker costume and a taxidermy bear. Be sure to scroll down to see my finds from the market!

The next Randolph Street Market is September 28th and 29th, from 10AM-5PM at 1340 W Randolph St in Chicago.

If you can't wait until then to get your vintage fix, there are two more markets before then to check out. The Vintage Bazaar pops up within The Renegade Craft Fair tomorrow, September 7th and Sunday, September 8th in Wicker Park. Next Sunday is the monthly flea market, The Vintage Garage Chicago, that takes place in a 5-story parking garage in the Uptown neighborhood. Be sure to check out the organization's websites for more information. Let me know if you plan to go to any of the markets, I'd love to say "hello"!randolph2randolph3randolph4randolph5randolph6randolph7randolph8randolph9randolph10randolph11randolph12randolph13randolph14randolph15randolph16randolph17randolph18randolph19randolph20randolph21randolph22randolph23randolph24I collect vintage pin up items so was excited to find 2 photo postcards of the same woman. I believe they're from the 1940s.randolph25Check out this 1950s lamp made out of a toy rotary phone. It's aqua too so I had to buy it, I hope to make it my desk lamp.randolph26A sweet straw and velvet hat, the colors will transition nicely to fall.randolph27Yes, that is E.T.! It's a folk art version made out of a cut out mirror, probably created by someone in the 1980s. To the left is a tiny Made in Western Germany metal toy car and on the bottom is a hand beaded Native American bracelet. I'm enamored with the colors and detail of the bracelet.randolph28Soap on a rope! Who knew they came in such quirky packaging?randolph29Yes, the soap deserved two photos.necklacesI've had god luck finding 1930s necklaces lately, on the top is a silver plated and Czech glass Deco necklace and the bottom is celluloid with real shells attached.