NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Flea Market Fun
Kane County Flea MarketWhile looking for a file on my computer today I came across these photos I'd taken over a month and a half ago-- they were taken at the May Kane County Flea Market that Albert and I had went to. (We went to the June one a couple of weeks ago and it was super disappointing!).Treasures!Despite being on a budget I still found quite a few goodies to take home with me. Albert found quite a lot and he had to lug it back to the car on his shoulders! Look at that atomic starburst clock...Kane County Flea MarketI wore a 1950s gray & white cotton day dress that I bought at the Park Slope, Brooklyn Beacon's closet a few months ago. With it I wore my trusty deadstock espadrilles & a straw hat that I bought that day at the flea market (photos of it and more hats below).Kane County TreasuresKane County TreasuresThese toppers were so whimsical and delicate, surprisingly the netting was intact on both. I've since worn the green one to a wedding reception.Kane County TreasuresKane County TreasuresThe green fabric & velvet bag is from the 1950s but has a Victorian feel to it (though they would have been much smaller in the 1800s). Anyone know why there are pointy metal bits on the ends of the strings? Can't tell if they serve a real purpose. Next to the bag is a gold mesh coin purse/cigarette holder (?). It has a mirror under the lid and is in good condition except for that green bit on the metal. I'm going to do some research on how to clean it up.Kane County TreasuresAnother vintage brownie for the collection and a very old flashlight from the 1920s. It has a real glass insert at the front and seems to be made out of copper. I found it and the mesh purse above at a stand where the seller just had boxes upon boxes of JUNK. He cleans out estates and doesn't organize any of the items at his booth. While I spent ages digging around the prices were low and it felt like more of a treasure hunt.Kane County TreasuresA sweet older woman who sells jewelry gave me the above charms for free! If you can't tell, the charm on the right is meant to be a camera (an old fashioned one with folding bellows). I'm going to string them on chains with some other charms I have soon.Kane County TreasuresI'm sure most of my readers have had these little ballerinas on their cakes as kids. I definitely did though I think mine were vintage at the time.Steak 'n ShakeSteak 'n ShakeOf course a day at the flea market wouldn't be complete without some greasy food & sweets! We went to a Steak n' Shake for lunch. I had a side by side shake (chocolate and banana) and sliders with a side of cheese fries. Yes, I know the cheese looks a little gross but it was so good! Yum.