NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Goat Heads & Plaid
goat2Doesn't Albert look ecstatic sitting next to his goat head? While I spent nearly 20 minutes trying to talk him out of this purchase, he of course decided to get it anyways! I definitely have nothing against taxidermy as home decor but it isn't something to buy on a whim as it will become the centerpiece of any room you put it in. That said, I've always wanted one of those giant mounted fish to put in a dining room but until I purchase a 3-bedroom bungalow that will remain a dream.goat1Last week Albert & I took a day trip to Indiana to go vintage and thrift hunting. We hadn't gone since Autumn and we discovered a few new spots to go to along the way. There's a LOT of plaid in this post, my 1970s Western plaid shirt seemed to attract it wherever I went.leatherjacketIn this outfit I incorporated 2 items that I usually avoid, a pencil skirt and a button down shirt, both of which I'd decided long ago didn't suit my curvy hourglass figure. I'd bought the shirt at the Dig 'n Save in Wisconsin last month, a thrift store where purchases are sold by the pound, thus the shirt cost around 10 cents! Initially I thought it was a men's shirt but was happily surprised to find it is most likely a lady's and is the best fitting button down I've had the pleasure to own. The pencil skirt was also a surprise purchase, I decided to try it on at the Untitled closing sale and the structure of the skirt is quite flattering.plaidshirtYou can tell from my choice of jacket and footwear that this was during our 'Spring' weather last week, it actually got up to 50 degrees and all the snow mounds leftover from the Blizzaster finally melted. Of course as I write this there is snow on the ground again and it's back in the 30s. My outfit incorporates another rarity for me, thrifted footwear. As I have HUGE feet (9 1/2-10) for a woman, I cannot wear true vintage shoes. Usually I never look in the shoe section at the thrift but lately have had lots of luck! I found these black leather jazz shoes for only $3 and they were in perfect condition, unfortunately I've scuffed them up a bit already (I'm too hard on my shoes).

Outfit Details:

1970s Aviator Sunglasses: Salvation Army, Chicago
1970s Plaid Western Shirt with Pearl Snap Buttons: Dig 'n Save, Wisconsin
Black Pencil Skirt: Cheap Monday Brand, Untitled closing sale
Black Tights: Filene's Basement
Leather Jazz Shoes: Village Thrift Store, ChicagojacketcuMy major weakness, after handbags, is jewelry. I don't own much fine jewelry, as I'm afraid of losing it, but do have piles of costume jewels. Lately I've been doubling up on necklaces, here I'm wearing a 1970s Avon whale necklace bought at local shop, Very Best Vintage, and a camera necklace found at Buffalo Exchange.cowgirlA 1950s photograph I found at the first antique shop we stopped at-- this girl was me in a past life. I also love that her outfit compliments mine, wish I could find a skirt like hers!creepysantaThere were loads of photos that Albert & I spent a better part of an hour sifting through. I bought a few album pages that look like they date from the 1920s and 1930s. Above is THE creepiest Santa photo I've ever seen. Why is there a birdhouse in the background?? Why is it the only hand coloured photo in the whole album??fotosAt the bottom of a box I found my favorite type of photo, old photobooths! Most of them document just one girl. Albert graciously let me buy the hand tinted image of the girl with the locket (he collects photo booth images too).redwoodsOne of the most disturbing postcards I've come across, it's hard to read the caption but it says "New Redwood Homes...'In the Rough' ". Yes folks, as late as the 1960s companies were logging those amazing Redwood forests for construction, pretty hard to believe, isn't it?komododragon54 inches long, the lizard (Komodo Dragon?) pictured is over 4 feet long, can you imagine encountering that in the jungle?? The little necklace is actually a choker, it will be one of my staples come warmer weather.swagDue to a time crunch I only had 20 minutes to canvas a large thrift store. Thankfully I have a lot of practice and managed to pick up the 1960s faux fur leopard coat, wool grandpa sweater and silver mesh Whiting & Davis purse within that time. There were also 2 1950s chairs we left behind as they wouldn't fit into the car. The sweater actually has a tiny slim pocket meant for a pen, how neat is that?hipsterbootsTwo pairs of 'hipster boots', in MY SIZE also found at the thrift store. I'd been searching for a pair of short, lace up brown boots for ages. They're not old, probably from the 90s or newer.bagI keep collecting these tiny crossbody bags. They're not all that practical but I use them for when I go to clubs or concerts in the summer. Just big enough for keys, money, IDs and my phone.unicornYes, that is a unicorn paperweight! I've already started reclaiming my childhood, through collecting all items unicorn. They have made a resurgence in the mainstream world too, they've been popping up on stationery and cards lately.pendleton49erThe plaid background for some of the above photos is this amazing Pendleton 49er jacket! Another item I've been wanting to get for a while but whenever I see them they're from the 1980s (and thus bulky), are super expensive or in bad shape. I'm pretty sure this is an early one, probably from the 1950s. See how fellow blogger, Vixen Vintage, styled hers. I'm envious of her plaid-lined jeans!plaidquiltcuMy favorite find of the day, a 1950s quilt made of PLAID and TWEED squares! Being from the South, I've avoided vintage quilts as they always seemed a little stuffy and country chic to me. When I saw this quilt, however, I knew it was the one for me-- I can't figure out if the fabric was from wornout shirts and suits or from woolen blankets. Either way it's huge (in the picture it's folded in half) and after I figure out how to wash it will be my new bedspread.plaidquiltAmazing! Thank you 1970s Western plaid shirt for serving as my vintage talisman of the day. Like attracts like, right?