NYC Style Spot   +  TIME

Lessons in Style - Holly Golightly

Currently listening to One Headlight by The Wallflowers.

I was feeling kind of low last weekend. I was staying at my mum's, with no plans, friends and loved ones far away. I struggled to find a reason to smile, it had to be done: I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Audrey Hepburn plays Holly Golightly, living in New York, she is at times eccentric, very extroverted and above all, a true dreamer. As I enjoyed the movie with some Oreo cookies, I allowed Holly to speak to me a little. This is what I learnt.

Always make an effort, even when in bed: whether it's a nice sleeping gown, a cute eye mask, or a neat bun, going to bed looking like a goddess will make you feel much better come early morning. You also never know who may knock at your door during the early hours, when that order from The Outnet finally arrives - A few weeks ago I opened the door to the postman with crazy hair and a huge Calvin and Hobbes sweater. Style fail in capital letters.

Do window shop - even if you can't afford what's in the display, there's nothing wrong with aspiring to certain material treats. It motivates you to work harder, chase a promotion or even find a job. Whatever your material goal, a car, a new pair of shoes, some make up, do browse stores, have a wish list. Dreaming is healthy as it keeps positive levels high. Besides, when you do have the money, you will know what to go for exactly and not waste your money on something else.

Always leave a party before it's over - because no one wants to stay when the music is bad, the glasses are empty and the mood has drowned. When your eye make up is melting, or your heels are feeling slightly too worn, go home, take it all off, and get the required beauty-sleep.

To finish off this post, I decided to recreate the look below with what I had in my wardrobe.

While Audrey Hepburn's look is more simple and understated, I went for some rhinestones and studs to upgrade the look to the rock chic(k) category. What do you think?

Top: H&M
Trousers: Karen Millen
Studded ballerinas: Zara

Last but not least, a great quote to remember "There are certain shades of limelight that can wreck a girl's complexion."
Have you seen Breakfast at Tiffany's?

Finished this post listening to Twist by Goldfrapp.

Pictures: Paramount, Fashion Limbo