NYC Style Spot   +  spring

The First Breath of Spring
stumpchair2This past weekend was the first one that felt like actual Spring here in Chicago. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures when it was 80 degrees yesterday (I was too busy sunbathing in the park!) but did walk around my neighborhood to take photos of the budding flowers today. Sadly not a lot of trees or flowers are blooming yet, I still don't see any daffodils or tulips, hopefully by Easter a few will have popped up!
I didn't mean to take outfit photos today so you're seeing my comfy/running errands outfit (I rarely wear jeans/pants) of a 1970s plaid shirt belted over a 1960s cotton lace dress. Currently I don't own any tennis/sport shoes so these black leather jazz shoes are my go-to flats for when I'll be doing a lot of walking. This outfit probably doesn't look very springlike with the long sleeves and tights but it definitely felt good not to have to wear a wool coat or an outer layer! I didn't have my tripod with me so I just set my camera on a nearby picnic table while I posed on that stump chair. It's pretty hard not to look awkward doing a sitting shot, it's hard to know what to do with your legs!greenbudsyellowflowers2stumpchairA slightly different pose from the first picture. If you're curious, my purse is from the '90s and was found at Buffalo Exchange a few months ago. While I love vintage handbags I tend to use a more contemporary bag on a day to day basis due to size constraints-- typically I lug around a hardback novel and a SLR camera in my bag along with the usual items like a wallet and my iphone.whiteflowersroseringNot sure how old this chunky copper ring is-- maybe 1970s? It has a carved white rose in the middle (think it's made out of some kind of plastic) and has molded roses along the shank of the ring. I've been wearing it daily along with the pieces of jewelry below.stumpringsWhile I own a ridiculous amount of vintage jewelry, most of my items are costume (ie not silver, gold or gemstones). The two rings above are an exception-- they are both gold and have tiny diamonds embedded in the middle. I found the ring on the right at a flea market a couple of years ago-- it's from the 1920s and belonged to the seller's grandmother who passed it down to his mother. Since he wasn't planning on having any children he decided to sell his mother's jewelry at the market including this ring. His mother's name was Beatrice and it makes me happy that I can carry on her legacy by wearing this ring. If you're wondering, the ring is about an inch long and the diamond is set into a black onyx stone. The star ring is a symbol of the "Order of the Eastern Star", an organization related to the Masons, and is also gold with a tiny diamond set into the black enamel on the face. I don't know the history behind the ring, I believe it's from the 1920s or 1930s, but bought it at the second Vintage Bazaar from an Indiana dealer. The bangle bracelet is lucite that has swirled smoky ribbons in it that imitates tortoiseshell or amber.yellowflowersBack to rain and lower temperatures later this week, not excited. Can't wait to put all my winter gear away...