NYC Style Spot   +  summer trend

The Rant - Summer peeves

Summer brings all sorts of body-related issues. The less layers of fabric to cover our flaws, the more insecure we feel. I love wearing opaque tights in winter, simply because I hate baring my legs during the warmer period. They are white - of quite the "dairy" nature - not long and the cherry on top are my knobbly knees that I've learnt to, more or less, accept. Then it's the "cute" pot-belly and its dimensions right now depend on how successful my post-Christmas diets were. Winter allows us to shape our selves with flattering coats, jackets, high-waisted trousers and so much more. I love covering up.

So... thinking about bikinis at this point becomes a cruel form of self-torture. In a year where having a back injury means I can't really exercise, my body confidence is quite low and at this point I'm seriously dreading a stroll by the beach. I also had to make it harder for myself by moving to the coast - feel free to hate me. What are my options? Moving back to the north of Europe? ... NOT happening!

Maybe find the perfect bathing suit? Daisy Lowe is continuing with her Peacocks collaboration and will be launching a collection of swimwear with a very 60s vibe. They are quite pretty, will probably hide all the ugly bits, but I do wonder about quality. I'm also eyeing this cute H&M ensemble below, and with its high-waist it may be a good option.

Retro bathing suits and bikinis work beautifully with:

  • cute wedges and especially rope sandals, aka espadrilles. Very beachy but ensure it comes with a good sole, or you may end up having sand for breakfast.
  • skirts - add a mini to the mix and you can go from the sand to the bar in a fabulous manner
So either I find a cute retro bathing suit that makes me feel comfortable and sexy, or I replicate fashion icon Sarah Jessica Parker's possibly laziest look ever, and yet, unsuprisingly cool (Sex & The City season 2, ep 17) teaming a bikini top with the biggest beach shorts I can find... However, I do fear it may be one of those looks that only work for Miss Bradshaw.

Stills property of HBO

Are you worrying about your beach body too? Do you care much about how you look at the seaside? Or once the sun shines you are out and about in shorts and sandals like there's no tomorrow?

Pictures: Peacocks, H&M, HBO