NYC Style Spot   +  What I Wore

Jodhpur Journal: Shopping and Skipping
Rajasthan Jodhpur Antique Shopping Fashion BoutiqueRajasthan Jodhpur Antique Shopping Fashion BoutiqueGlobal traveller trendRajasthan Jodhpur Antique Shopping Fashion Boutiqueglobal traveller trendRajasthan Jodhpur Antique Shopping Fashion Boutiqueglobal traveller trendShopping antique fashion jewellery and handicraft textiles in Jodhpur, Rajasthan at a cute boutique in Ras Haveli.
I needed a break from the more simple things in my wardrobe. I was in Jodhpur. I needed to inject into my look, the colourful and cheerful vibe I saw women all around me carry. This is as far as I got :| Black with shots of colourful embroidery. You have to look up to Rajasthani women for their highly developed sense of colour and textile, they are truly an inspiration!
I did though, embrace the seasoned and stylish traveller vibe on my trip to Rajasthan. A bit of texture, a handful of fringing and smattering of embroidery – perfect for when the sun is shining. Earthy colours and rich patterns were at the core, as did mixing, matching and layering to obtain a sophisticated and well-travelled feel. Here I layer an antique spike silver bracelet from Rajasthan, Button Masala (Anuj Sharma) bracelet with an antique silver bangle from Gujarat to compliment my Kimberly Orvitz metal vest layered over a textured dress over a hand-embroidered skirt from Jaipur. Phew.. I wasn't kidding about the layering, you see :P
A first visit to any place should really be about going to all the sights, doing the quintessential thing native to that place. Ok, so I went to Rajasthan and savoured some Dal Bhati, visited a fort or two and saw a camel. But does that mean I have to shop like a tourist? No sir! Its always been a real tick of mine to really try and get 'under' the surface of a city's shopping opportunities and I think I found a bit of a off-the-beaten-track gem.   VJHOME was like rifling through someone's wardrobe in their lovely apartment except from 5 decades years ago. By 'off-the-beaten track', I meant it wasn't in an obvious shopping market (Ghanta Ghar) and rather than a traditional shop front, you walked through a renovated haveli courtyard (Ras Haveli) and found that this boutique was nestled in corner behind some plants and a cafe. It offered a selection of handpicked antique textiles reconstructed into modern dresses, jutis, antique jewellery, bags repurposed from vintage fabrics, scarves and skirts.. Needless to say, I left Jodhpur content and delighted.
PS. My travel mantra - Tourists don’t know where they have been, travelers don’t know where they are going- Paul Theroux.