NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Channeling the 1980s in Wicker Park
thriftaholic_fountainToday I realized that summer is already halfway over and there's still so much more I want to do-- picnics at the zoo, beach days, making popsicles from produce purchased at the farmer's market and hopefully a road trip to Nashville or Louisville. Since Chicago has such brutal winters and a short to non-existent spring, there's a lot of pressure to enjoy every bit of warm weather and sunshine in the summer. While I've been taking advantage of the neighborhood music fests, flea markets and al fresco dining this season, it's also pleasant to walk up to Wicker Park, a trendy/artsy neighborhood just North of mine, to just relax in the park and wander the shops and cafes. A few weekends ago I did just that with my friend Sarah of Zzouzi Vintage. We had plans to meet up with a few of our friends at a new arcade game themed bar, Emporium, so decided to snap a few outfit photos beforehand.

You'll notice that this outfit is a departure from my usual style-- I usually don't wear 1980s clothing and rarely anything as fitted as the skirt. When I spied the hot pink Ungaro high waisted pencil skirt at Seek Vintage a few months ago, however, I tried it on a whim and fell in love. To make it a little more 1980s does 1950s I paired it with a cotton blouse from the 1950s and a pair of espadrille wedges.thriftaholic_fountain2wp_sarah2In front of local cocktail hot spot, The Violet Hour, is a rotating wall mural. The latest version is a large white whale that I believe is supposed to be the whale from Herman Melville's "Moby Dick". Sarah was also rockin' a 1980s outfit with her cutoff jean shorts and off the shoulder blouse.thriftaholic_whale2wp_sarah5thriftaholic_cuI'm not sure how old this "tribal" style necklace is but it makes a statement whenever I wear it-- it's made up of hundreds of small beads (not sure if they're made of shell or bone).thriftaholic_accessoriesForgive my messy hair, I think it was windy that day (as per usual)!wp_sarah4thriftaholic_whale_resizedOUTFIT DETAILS:
Vintage Tribal style necklace: Buffalo Exchange
Vintage Leather Belt: Buffalo Exchange
1950s button down cotton shirt (think it was originally a pajama top): Pilsen Thrift & Vintage
1980s Ungaro pencil skirt: Seek Vintage
Vintage silver rings & wood bangles: Thrifted in Chicago
Sandals purchased last year in the Philippinesinstagram_sarah_bigstartacoAlso a few instagram photos of the day too, courtesy of Sarah. Follow her on instagram @Sazzou. She's holding a fish taco from Big Star above.instagram_sarah_uoBefore hitting the bar we popped into Urban Outfitters to check out what "the kids" are into these days-- lots of neon and 1990s as we suspected! Sarah is in front of a neat art installation above. instagram_thriftaholic_uoSarah convinced me to try on this mint green lace dress but unfortunately it was a wee big on me but it was fun to twirl around in it anyways!instagram_sarah_emporiumEmporium was a bit dark to get proper photos in but Sarah managed to snag a few Instagram pictures above. The concept of the bar is that one can purchase tokens (for a quarter a piece) and play on one of the several dozen "old school" 1980s/1990s video games like Pac Man, Donkey Kong, etc. I'm terrible at video games so I was content to see my friends make the high score on their favorite games.