NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Winter Flea Market: Vintage Garage Chicago in Edgewater
1940s_bobby_pinsWhen I first moved to Chicago there were no flea markets during the winter months, I had to get my vintage fix by digging through thrift stores and estate sales. Even though it's currently 2 degrees Fahrenheit here in the windy city, The Vintage Garage Chicago flea market popped up in an indoor space last weekend to fill the city's need for vintage clothing, housewares, jewelry and furniture. It was a 2 day event, held from 11-6 each day in a sunny storefront in the far North neighborhood of Edgewater.

I acted as official photographer on Saturday so I've mixed in a few photos of customers with their finds into this post along with my usual shots of the booths.thriftaholic_snowleopardSince I get into the market early, I did a wee bit of shopping before the doors opened. I purchased this amazing 1970s framed snow leopard painting for only $5!1950s_shoesI lusted after these gorgeous 1940s shoes in Leah's booth but alas they were too big for me! That never happens to me as I'm a size 9 1/2.vinylThe records in Keith's booth were a big hit with customers.customer_hisandhersHis & Hers finds, they scooped up records, framed art, a medium format camera and more (look at those bags)!vintage_howdy_doody_watchWhat time is it? It's "Howdy Doody" time! I loved this 1950s watch celebrating the classic TV show; it was spotted in Keith's booth.vintage_wedding_paperAdorable 1960s wedding themed wrapping paper in Poly Golightly's booth.kyla_dressVendors like to shop and trade with each other too! Kyla of Lost & Find Vintage nabbed this darling 1970s dress from a fellow vendor.vintage_hat_formsSBSecurro's booth never disappoints me, they always have wonderful displays and unusual items sourced from all over the U.S. and Europe. The above photo and the next 10 are from their booth.vintage_marblesVintage marbles! My dad collected marbles and so did I when I was a kid.antique_marblesAntique, turn of the century clay marbles.biscuitcuttersIMG_8957Ink bottles above and below, I was partial to that purple one.ink_bottlesglass_domevintage_bowtiesBow ties are on-trend right now for both women and men. I still need to figure out how to wear my vintage bow ties.flower_frogsdollheadsCreepy doll heads, you will haunt my dreams.vintage_rosaryA stunning oversized rosary with beads made out of carved nuts or seeds.trioThe Vintage Garage's customer base is fairly diverse-- the Edgewater location is close to Loyola University and its students. There are also young families and retirees that live in the neighborhood. The 3 friends above all found treasures at the market.train_caseKimberly Olivia of Estate Chicago is known for her spectacular estate jewelry but she also has unusual hats and other items purchased on her travels through the Midwest and California. The photo above and the next 3 are from her booth.hat_boxstatement_necklacesfeatherz_hatnathalieNathalie reached out to me via this blog, I always enjoy meeting fellow vintage enthusiasts in Chicago. If you ever see me at a thrift store or flea market make sure to say hello!nathalie_recordsNathalie came home with bags of vintage goodies including a 1939 yearbook and records.vintage_potterypotterystatue_bustorange_tablestraffic_lightvintage_packagingvintage_coatchalkwarecustomer_blackdressredbootsThis stylish lady in red purchased the boots from Zzouzi Vintage, she liked them so much she decided to wear them that day.aqua_salon_chairOf course I coveted this aqua beauty parlor chair in Yetti Treasures' booth.log_truckheywood_wakefield_deskSpectacular Heywood Wakefield desk in Yetti Treasures' booth. Of course it sold!family_shoppersSince I grew up antique and vintage shopping with my parents every weekend, it was a pleasure to see whole families at the flea market digging for fun pieces.ezbakeovenAnother item I coveted, an aqua 1950s E-Z bake oven mint in box! I always wanted one as a kid.customer_couchThis couple was super jazzed about their 1950s sofa set, it was in pristine condition as it had been covered in plastic for decades.wolf_pictureinterior_designvintage_tiesvintage_sweatershat1950s_sweatergreen_dressespolkadotdressThis polka dot dress fit this young woman perfectly, thankfully it went home with her.dff30048628411e29e6f22000a9e2992_7Here are a few Instagram photos, above is an outfit shot of what I wore-- a 1940s dress bought at one of the summer Vintage Garage markets (for only $10!), a thrifted 1950s sequin cardigan, a 1950s hat I bought at this Vintage Garage market and a large silver ring I purchased from SB Securro at this market (for only $5!).0dfcaf4662b411e2adc122000a1f9ace_7Sarah of Zzouzi Vintage was drawn to this Mod 1960s lampshade in a vendor's booth, since she's a milliner she saw it as a hat!4d93fc88626211e29a9c22000a1fbe09_7eedcb1b0629511e2962a22000a1f930e_7Shot at the end of the day: Kyla bought a pair of vintage cowboy boots and a 1950s chair, Sarah bought the hat/lampshade and I bought that wonderful snow leopard.
If you missed last weekend's market you can catch The Vintage Garage next month, February 16th & 17th 11AM-6PM at 1134 N Granville in the Edgewater neighborhood of Chicago.