NYC Style Spot   +  winter

An Arkansas Christmas
lightsoftheozarksWhat does an Arkansas Christmas look like? Well it obviously needs to somehow involve the Razorback, a wild pig, that serves as the University of Arkansas' mascot (pictured above in lights). Last year I stayed in Chicago for the holidays so this year I'm spending 10 days back in my hometown of Fayetteville, Arkansas to make up for it.
Every year Fayetteville decorates its historic downtown square with thousands of Christmas lights in a display known as the "Lights of the Ozarks". Since my family moved here in 1995, it's been tradition for us to visit the lights during the holiday season so this year we visited on Christmas Day.razorbacklightsArkansas Razorback!redtreefairylightslightsoftheozarksmommePosing with my mom by a giant wreath in The Square.camelI kind of regret not going for a camel ride now though it was bizarre that there were camels there in the first place-- maybe it alludes to the idea of a live nativity'?ponyridesThere were also ponies! I always feel a little sad for ponies that have to be hitched up like this though they didn't seem to mind.carouselfrontdoorYou'll see more photos of my Christmas outfit in the next post (we did a shoot at the train yard again!) but here I am wearing a 1950s dress in front of my parents' front door.ornaments2I've always loved my parents' eclectic assortment of ornaments, my family mixes together my dad's ornaments from the 1960s, ornaments my mom made in the 1980s and a variety of new and thrifted baubles. My mom made the little felt tiger above and I gave her the vintage angel last year. The kitschy knitted Santa and wreath were thrifted in Arkansas.santaornamentIt's a star! No it's Santa! Another thrifted ornament.circusornamentsMy dad has been decorating with this set of Made in Japan circus ornaments since he bought them in the 1960s. Yes, over 40 years ago!kittyornamentMy favorite ornament, my mom bought it in the '80s from Sears. Who doesn't love a cute cat made out of pom poms peeping out of a stocking?presentssandpshakersMy mom holding the latest addition to her vintage salt & pepper shaker collection, I found this set at a Chicago antique store.christmastreepicsHolding up our gifts in front of the Christmas tree, besides my new camera (a Canon 60D digital dSLR), Santa brought me knee socks, tights and vintage jewelry. I REALLY needed the socks and tights as the laundry elves had stolen a majority of my pairs.
How was your holiday weekend? Any exciting plans for New Years Eve yet?