NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Vintage Heaven Pop Up Sale in Wicker Park
vintageheaven_thriftaholicLast weekend I acted as my friend Sarah's helper at The Vintage Heaven pop up sale in Chicago's Wicker Park neighborhood. Despite not selling vintage myself, I've learned the "behind the scenes" aspect to being a flea market vendor through not only photographing the events but by also pitching in to help load in and set up my friends' booths at various shows. Sarah offered me lunch (tasty pizza from Piece) and a rad elephant bracelet in exchange for my help-- at 10AM we madly dashed back and forth across busy Milwaukee Avenue with overflowing plastic tubs of vintage clothing, purses and jewelry.sculptureThe Vintage Heaven sale pops up 6 times a year in the Heaven art gallery near the intersection of Milwaukee Ave/North Ave/Damen Ave in Wicker Park, the artsy/trendy/"hipster" heart of Chicago. Vendors set up in the gallery alongside whatever art is currently on display, this time it was site-specific sculptures by 3 different artists. There's typically 10 vendors each sale and there's a mix of vintage and recycled/upcycled pieces for sale. 

The sale is located only a 15 minute walk from my apartment so I've attended several times but this is the first time I've photographed it. Next time I want to take pictures of the shoppers and what they try on as it's difficult to photograph clothing when it's on hangers/on a rack. The Vintage Heaven blog posted a few photos of shoppers so you can see what the clientele looks like-- 1970s-90s vintage clothing and accessories seem to do the best at this venue and more colorful, "loud" and unusual pieces also sell the quickest. I noticed girls snapping up several pairs of vintage shoes at a time and Sarah sold out of all her wallets and a majority of her dresses.zzouzivintage_sarahSarah posing in her freshly merchandised booth, notice the crafty bunting banner.zzouzivintageThe big cat/feline corner-- 1970s West German tiger mugs and two purses with lion shaped hardware.vintagecatpinI'd seen Bunny's Trunk Show at other flea markets before but this was the first time I'd met the sweet sisters, Tanya and Lisa, behind the shop. They specialize in vintage jewelry and for Vintage Heaven they decided to price all of their pieces at $15 or under. Definitely a genius move on their part as I saw shoppers crowding their booth all day.

There were many baubles in their booth that caught my eye including the 1960s/70s handpainted ceramic pin featuring a woman and her cat (!) and the the enamel on copper bicycle pin below. Thankfully Tanya & Lisa gave me a good deal so both pins came home with me. enamelbikepinvintagebeadsRows and rows of 1950s and 1960s beaded necklaces in Bunny's Trunk Show's booth.vintagebeadednecklacesbanglebraceletsChunky bangle bracelet for sale at Bunny's.vintagewrappingpaperColorful and quirky deadstock wrapping paper seen in Poly Golightly's booth.latchhookkitA vignette of items that recalls my childhood-- a latch hook rug kit and My Little ponies, both from Penguiny Vintage's booth.handmadecollarsHandmade collars to adorn your sweaters or dresses from Hung.lostandfindvintageKyla of Lost & Find Vintage had an amazing display of vintage purses for sale. Everything from glittery clutch purses perfect for an evening out to leather shoulder bags suited for a summer music fest.vintageshoulderpursesvintagepurplepursesparklyclutchesfancyhatsAlma, the organizer of Vintage Heaven, also sells an impressive array of goods including home decor, hats, clothing and her first love, vintage jewelry. The fancy hats above and the next 8 photos are from her booth.chanelpearlsA classic strand of pearls and a Chanel book, can it get more chic?kineticbroochI regret not buying this massive kinetic brooch; it was Modernist, sculptural and all the hanging chains sway with the wearer's movements.bolotiesBolo ties! I'm still trying to figure out how to style the one I picked up at a thrift store recently.vintagecocktailringsGlittery cocktail rings from the 1950s-70s are back on trend, partially due to Mad Men.banglebraceletAn incredibly detailed copper bracelet.vintagepiratebeltbuckleThe most  badass belt I've ever seen-- look at the pirate face buckle! I think it's from the 1970s.tooledleatherpurseA roomy 1970s tooled leather purse and a rad upholstery purse.vintagemensshoesThere was a small section of men's clothing and accessories, there were quite a few male shoppers at the event hunting down blazers and leather dress shoes.tulipchairsIconic tulip chairs. The blue poufs are heavy pillows, I liked their look but didn't know where I'd put them.dethroserainbowshoesMy friend Karyn of Dethrose Vintage is a staple of the Vintage Heaven sale, I believe she sells at every one of their shows. I spied the rainbow shoes above in her booth.dethrosevintageKaryn's booth was packed with 1950s party frocks, 1960s day dresses and accessories spanning the 1930s-70s. If I wore wedges I'd be rockin' the 1970s leather and wood pair below.1970swedgesdethrosewoodclutchThis vignette reminded me of living in Los Angeles, especially all the wooden accessories. Look at the clutch purse made of wood!dethrosewhiteglovesDainty Jackie O style white gloves and hat.dethrose_karyn_outfitAfter brisk sales all day, it was time to take a break with happy hour cocktails-- Sarah and I mixed champagne and pineapple juice together for a tropical take on mimosas. Karyn was drinking whiskey on the rocks while wearing a gorgeous late 1950s/early 1960s (?) dress.dethrosevintage_karynChanneling the spirit of Mad Men's Betty Draper, as per usual.sarah_windowSarah and I basked in the sunlight coming from the window overlooking Milwaukee Avenue.silverelephantbraceletA view of the accessories I wore that day-- a coral bracelet (thrifted, not sure if it's vintage), a 1970s enamel and silvertone ring and the awesome silvertone camel bracelet from Zzouzi Vintage.thriftaholic_windowI'm wearing a 1960s dress I bought at a garage sale in my neighborhood a few years ago. I particularly like its long bow made of seersucker fabric.

Summer's quickly approaching and that means 3 flea markets to hit every month! Every weekend will be devoted to vintage, I'm looking forward to it.