NYC Style Spot   +  Inspiration

Last of the Winter Flea Markets: Vintage Garage
8510568031_273f98ef36_bThis month (February) marked the end of the indoor, winter flea markets but that means we're just that much closer to the start of Spring and the "high season" for vintage shopping in Chicago! Vintage Garage Chicago held its last pop up market in Edgewater recently but will start back up in its namesake parking garage with 75 vendors in April.

Despite freezing temperatures (I think it was 12 degrees!), customers packed the market all day, proving that Chicagoans are always up for some vintage and antique finds.8510566393_4d7b300c85_bAmazing tiger pants spotted in my friend Leah's booth. If I wore pants I would have seriously contemplated buying these just for the "wow" factor.vg21Speaking of wow factor, this Western style lamp would definitely be a standout piece in any room.paintcanSo Pop Art, right? I believe it was probably a display at a hardware store.vg39A customer showing off his newly purchased cake carrier, I loved the patriotic colors.vg15Jon Stigler and his booth has shown up numerous times before on this blog-- he drives in from Indiana and always finds the most unique items. I pretty much just want him to re-do my entire apartment with his pieces! (Next 9 photos are from his booth).vg14vg30vg29I caught Leslie, another Garage vendor, looking stylish while browsing in Jon's booth. Don't you love her initial sweater?vg13Jon brought piles of drawings, illustrations and paintings done by one artist in the 1940s and 1950s. It was wonderful having the chance to see an artist's development through art school and beyond-- my favorite is a rough painting of the El (our elevated train) as seen in the photo below.vg11vg_thriftaholicLook, I made a new friend! Jon had this oversized posable wood figure in his booth, it reminded me of the wood artist's models I used to use in high school.vg38vg16vg8vg_findsI was happy to see these customers appreciated "classic" technology-- The Beatles Abbey Road on vinyl and a dual-speed tape recorder still in the original box.vg10Vendor Keith Manners was also thinking Spring with this vintage BBQ set up. The next 4 photos are also from his booth.vg37vg36vg34vg5vg4vg3vg17vg19vg18vg12A happy customer modeling her newly purchased vintage winter hat bought from Leah's booth.vg35Folk art, oddities and objets d'art always abound in Walter Meyer's booth. He also creates displays with a sense of humor and wit. The next 7 photos are from his booth.vg28vg27vg23vg22vg24I still regret not buying this antique penmanship book from Walter, not only was the cover and illustrations gorgeous to look at, I could use some help with my cursive writing.vg25vg26gentlemanA dapper customer showing off his first find of the day.vg33vg31vg2Vintage E.T. pins! ... and a Neck Pet?vg32vg9vg6coatDue to the transitional weather I haven't been as excited about buying clothing lately but many customers at the Garage took home winter hats, boots and lovely coats like the one being modeled above. The coat was from Leah's booth.

I hope to see you at the April Vintage Garage! For those of you who live in the suburbs, they will also be launching a new Highwood flea market with 100 vendors starting in May. Be sure to keep up to date with all the happenings on the Vintage Garage website.